Hoggstowne Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on the website

2 posters

Go down

Thoughts on the website Empty Thoughts on the website

Post by Albert Dumblewort Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 am

Three things dictate what a website looks like:

1) Venue
The website should reflect the venue in which it's happening. This is the first step in getting students accustomed to the general feel of the place. In the case of this event, I will omit most if not all pics that reflect Shaker Village, and will be making/editing graphics just for the website.
2) Host features
These can really help spice up a website, but too much can also slow down how quickly the site uploads, so I usually keep it to a minimum on the special effects. I'll be working with a new host on this one, so as soon as we've procured the domain, I'll set to exploring it and we will see what we will see! Probably our biggest consideration is the process of registering. I want it to be easy, linear, informative, and efficient.
3) Conveyed information
The main point of our website will be to convey what we are doing, why you should be excited and how to be a part of it. This is done with equal parts text and graphics. I want the website to be whimsical, but also easy to navigate. I prefer pull-down menus as opposed to the hunt-and-peck style of a random highlighted word or icon, which is murder on a mobile device. Also, I want anyone to be able to jump directly to the page they wish to go instead of having to click their way through a maze of other pages.

As with anything our company does, the website will be put up for our review before going public.

Tootles.

Thoughts on the website Ad-01-10

Albert Dumblewort
Albert Dumblewort
Admin

https://hoggstowne-forum.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the website Empty Re: Thoughts on the website

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am

Just throwing in a HUZZAH! on the idea of not having to maze-through to get to vital information.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Yeeeeessssss

Back to top Go down

Post by Andaxia Moonstar Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:51 pm

I second a clean and easy-to-navigate website.
Andaxia Moonstar
Andaxia Moonstar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Here are my initial thoughts about what to include/incorporate in the website. Some of these are not necessarily needed up front, but would be good to have down the line.

1) Easy to find information. It all needs to be a 180 from the old website. Very easy to navigate and find any information.

2) I think the Wiki should be linked from this website, and vice versa. Don't double dip and keep both separate. They serve different purposes.

3) Registration should be on that top nav. bar and should have it's own page for registration.

4) Donate. Since we are going to be a 501 (c)(3), when we get our paperwork, it would be nice to be able to take donations (financial and physical) so having a donate button would be awesome.

5) Nook and Cranny should have it's own page where we can feature sellers and their products. That way when people come to the event, they know what sort of items would be available.

6) Rumoribus could live on the website, making it VERY easy to upload stories and download any digital copies (once paid for) directly from the website! (Regan, what's your thought on that?) I'm sure more details need to be hashed out, but it would be cool to have the Rumoribus Staff featured on there.

7) For photo credits, I think try to get that font smaller, put it closer to the photo, or indicate it a different way. It currently takes a lot of space to credit in that format.

Cool Physical documents could be uploaded that students would need to download or access and the website would be a great way to do that. Things like a Map of the HT hotel layout, class schedule, book list, etc... I think it would make sense to have one place where all these can be located/downloaded.

9) I don't think we should do anything with points before the event. That's my two-cents, because in the books, they didn't/couldn't get points outside of school and it makes it hard for everyone to participate. At least not for house cup.
Maybe have a separate competition for a prize maybe.

10) Secret things on the website. I think it would be really fun to have secrets hidden on the website. That's part of the magic.

Those are my initial thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andaxia Moonstar Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 pm

One thing on the Donate button. From what I understand, until all of the IRS forms are complete and we get that notice from the IRS, people who donate cannot declare those funds on their taxes as a donation. I will double-check that information, but a statement saying as much may need to accompany that button, or this will need to wait to be implemented until we have the all-clear from the IRS. It's a good idea though.

I like the idea of having the documents on there. Definitely PDF format. Fortunately, anyone with a recent version of Word can convert files to PDF without having to purchase the full version of Acrobat.
Andaxia Moonstar
Andaxia Moonstar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:45 pm

1) Total AGREE

2) Total AGREE

3) Total AGREE

4) Yes. Daxy's concern is noted, but as long as we feel pretty solid we'll have our 1023 in by the end of the calendar year we'll be fine to accept donations. All you need to provide a tax letter is your letter of determination.

5) Nice idea.

6) Yes, please!

7) No opinion, sounds good to me.

Cool Like this idea.

9) We've had a few given out already (and some yet to come) - I feel split on this idea. People do amazing things in the in-betweens and it's kind of nice to be able to give some positive incentives when they do, you know?

10) Hellz yes! LOVE THIS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andaxia Moonstar Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:42 pm

There are suggestions on the other website idea thread in this category as well.  Just want to make sure everything gets noted.
Andaxia Moonstar
Andaxia Moonstar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down